In this series, I’ve decided to break it down into two parts, simply because there’s a lot to be covered, and unfortunately my time is very limited these days due to exams.
“You must begin to understand, therefore, that the present state of your bank account, your sales, your health, your social life, your position at work, etc., is nothing more than the physical manifestation of your previous thinking. If you sincerely wish to change or improve your results in the physical world, you must change your thoughts, and you must change them immediately.” –Bob Proctor
If you entertain negative thoughts, they feed your mind with negativity, and likewise if you entertain positive thoughts, they feed your mind with positivity.
We spoke about reflecting on previous “actions” that may have led to your current situation, and we spoke about how important it is to understand this in order to avoid it in future. (If you missed that post, be sure to check it out here – major key.) Now, this ties in perfectly well with the idea that your thoughts will manifest given the right nurturing. Be very careful not to beat yourself down through your own words, because what comes out of your mouth, your ears hear too, your mind processes it and stores it there, sometimes close to your daily memory, other times in your subconscience. It is quite dangerous when terrible ideas of the self are roaming around in your subconscience, because most of the time the damage they do isn’t realised until it’s almost too late.
The mind, in my humble opinion, is one of the most neglected parts of the human body, in comparison to the rest of a person’s being. Many of us are more concerned with our outside appearance, the usual suspects (heart health, etc), but not enough of us care enough for our minds. The mind is the most powerful tool humans have, and some people say the average human being will only use about 5% of their brain in their lifetime. Supposing this is factual and anything to go by, that leaves the other 95% inactive. Imagine what you can do if you manage to harness a little bit more of that remaining 95%, say, utilising 10% of your mind? What about 30%? I don’t know what the current “diagnosis” is regarding using that much of your mind, but I wonder what it is that we do from birth that stops us from using more of our minds. I digress.
The mind, when properly conditioned, can help one to achieve so much. When we look after our mind and watch the thoughts we entertain, we are able to do so much more. It’s easier when it comes to “trivial” activities. Let me give an example. One day I was at uni trying to concentrate on my assignment. Instead, I found myself thinking about a novel that I’m writing, getting all these creative ideas as my creative juices kept bursting through. I told myself to “stop thinking about the novel”, but instead, I started thinking about it even more. When I got home, I started furiously typing away, and I was quite taken aback by my writing style in that particular chapter, if I do say so myself. The essay… well, let’s just say it eventually got done but not right away. What I’m trying to get at here is that, the more you meditate on something, the easier it becomes for it to affect your actions. This isn’t always true of course, as some people have become experts at navigating through their thoughts without getting distracted.
However, when your mind is renewed, you’re able to focus on your goal and destination. To tie in with my previous post entitled “Who Are You?” on knowing who you are or who you want to be, I feel like you’re more able to do that when your mind is renewed. You’re able to identify which path might take you where you need to be, and of course there will be mistakes to be made, but with a renewed mind you’re more likely to press on and be resilient.
To take this to a Biblical level, the bible says, “You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.”
Ephesians 4:22-24 NIV
“Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what Godʼs will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.”
Romans 12:2 NIV
There’s a lot more work to be done on this one, so I’ll end here and continue in a week or two, having done further reading. Feedback for discussion is most welcome! I’d like to see from a different perspective too ☺️
Have a lovely weekend 🙏🏾